History of Faith Evangelical Lutheran Church – Oshkosh, WI
In May 1950, the Northern Wisconsin District Mission Board requested a canvass of the south side of Oshkosh. An old, two-story frame dwelling with a lot measuring 165’ x 300’ was purchased for $6,000. The first worship service of the “South Side Lutheran Mission” was held on February 11, 1951 conducted by Pastor Willmar Wichmann of Neenah. On April 15, 1951, the congregation organized and changed its name to Faith Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Howard W. Kaiser, called from the graduating class of Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary, was ordained and installed as the first resident pastor on July 6, 1952. The following year a building committee was elected to make plans to build a new church building. The Church Extension Fund granted them a loan of $28,000. Ground was broken for the new church on August 1, 1954. The cornerstone laying ceremony was held on June 19, 1955. Because members and friends of the congregation performed a labor of love for the new church, the cost had been cut approximately in half. The dedication was held on December 4, 1955.
On March 9, 1959, the members voted to acquire an additional area of land 165’ x 300’ north of the church giving ample space for future expansion. A parsonage was built on that land and dedicated October 30, 1960. Four years later, on July 8, 1964, Faith congregation became self-supporting.
What We Believe
We are associated with the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS). We encourage those that are unfamiliar to view the following pages for a comprehensive understanding of what we believe:
1745 Ohio St, Oshkosh, WI 54902